Friday, May 19, 2006

I LOVE my Durgesic Pain Patch

I have been on Durgesic for a little over 5 years and can't imagine my life without it.

The active ingredient is Fentanyl. This is one of the medications that is used to put you to sleep for surgery. It is a very strong medication and as far as I'm concerned it is extremely effective for controlling chronic pain, especially back pain.

Before I was on the patch I was taking Oxycontin and I was a drooling vegetable with no quality of life. I had been on this mess for 4 years and did nothing but sleep and go to the bathroom. I ate only if there was someone here to remind me to eat. It was pathetic, I was pathetic.

When we found out that my oldest daughter was going to have a baby I told the doctor that I needed something that would allow me to be an active participant in her life or I was going to kill myself, I did not want to "live" in the state I was in. This is when I was introduced to the pain patch.

Within a week I was out working in my garden, I was cooking meals, I was an active participant once again in my family.... it still brings tears to my eyes to remember back to those days.

Here I am 5 years later doing everything that I want to do which is basically anything that my "new body and life" will let me do. I know my limitations and as long as I stay within those, I'm good. If I do more than my back and body want me to, then I have Lorcet for the breakthrough pain but I take no more than 2 a day. Usually this is 1 at bedtime and 1 about 3 a.m.

I am truly amazed at how many people are still taking the conventional narcotic pain meds when this wonder drug is out there. No, you don't get the head rush or buzz that you get from oxycontin or dilaudid. But honestly, if you are going for the head rush, you are addicted and need to question the level of pain you really have. I have talked to several people with supposed chronic pain who refuse to even try the Durgesic Patch simply because there is no buzz from it. Personally, I want the quality of life with a little less pain that is easier on my liver that I get from the patch.

The Durgesic Patch has been given a bad rap due to misuse, it is not for acute pain it is for chronic pain, and abuse. If you abuse any drug yes.... it can kill you. There has been talk of removing this wonderful medication from use by the public due to this misuse ie. the doctor's are once again prescribing a medication where it isn't indicated and the abuse by folks that will abuse cough medicine if they have enough of it.

I urge you to talk to your doctor about the Durgesic Patch. Over the past 10+ years I have been on just about every pain medication on the market and this is the only one that truly works without horrible side effects.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I say a big "AMEN!" to you regarding the duragesic patch. I have had chronic low back pain for 3+ years. Docs cannot seem to find the "pain generator". I've been through just about every test imaginable, and have taken just about every pain drug imaginable.

After being on Percocet 7.5-325 for the past 2 years, increased to 6x/day most recently (along with other meds that barely help), I've switched to the Duragesic patch. What I have found is that I no longer have the up and down pain level - just the consistency alone is good enough reason to try it.

No longer having to WAIT in pain until I can take the next pill, no longer caught without a pill in my purse because I forgot to fill up, and no longer "the look" from friends when I pop yet another pill. Also, the whole mental thing about taking a pill - is it time yet? is it time yet? IS IT TIME YET???? Ugh.

The patch is a stable pain reliever. I can't say enough good about it.